One of the biggest questions we get from new brides and grooms is "How do weddings usually go at the Barn? Is there a 'normal' timeline?"
Complicating this question is the fact that we offer weekend wedding (and beyond) packages now. As if wedding planning wasn't stressful enough, now you have to figure out what to do with your family and friends for even more time!
Don't worry; we're here to help. We've seen lots of weddings over the last few years and have come up with some sample timelines to get some ideas flowing.
We put together a sample timeline using this very helpful post from A Practical Wedding. Remember, this may or may not fit your wedding (especially if you want to take photos only after the ceremony), but it's a great starting point.
Here are a few important points to remember about scheduling weddings at Brule River Barn. These rules are important to keep things running smoothly, and to be respectful of Jill and Kirk, who live on the property.
- Rehearsal can take up to 4 hours and start from 12 to 2 pm the day before the ceremony. You may also use this time to decorate and set up. Just remember that the Barn is in the woods of northern Wisconsin, so be mindful of weather and animals.
- You, your wedding party, your vendors, and your guests are welcome on the property the day of the ceremony from 12 pm to 12 am.
- You and your significant other may stay in the Honeymoon Cottage until 11:00 am the next morning. You have until this time to clean up without incurring penalties. If others come to help you with any remaining clean-up, we ask that they arrive no earlier than 8 am.
One of the biggest trends in weddings for 2016 is the weekend wedding. While the idea is pretty self-explanatory (wedding events occur over an entire weekend), the exact timing may not be. The idea is to encourage guests to be a part of the whole experience over the course of a whole weekend. This gives people from out of town a good reason to travel, it lets both sides of the family meet you (or your friends). You can slow down and enjoy the company of everyone who is close to you.
If you choose to upgrade to the Family Fun Package, though, you get some additional perks. You get an extra night on the property, as well as a Brule River Canoe Rental shuttle to and from the House. This allows you even more time to relax and finish those last-minute details with your closest family and friends.
If you decide to take advantage of a weekday wedding to host a traditional (or not so traditional) wedding, just remember that you have 15 minutes of set-up time directly before the event time for every 1 hour booked. You also have an hour after the event time to finish cleaning up.
If you need any more inspiration or help for your timeline, check out these links below:
- How to Calculate a Wedding Timeline
- More Calculation Tips
- How to Plan a Wedding Weekend
- Morning, Evening, Early Afternoon, and Cocktail Weddings
- Cake and Punch Receptions
- Traditional Reception Timing
- Traditional Everything Else Timing
- Wedding Planning for Nerds (Plus a Pretty Timeline Handout Idea)
As always, if you have a question or a unique idea you'd like to pull off, ask us! We're happy to help you make your day special.