For the detail-oriented and the planners among you, we have some policies to keep the whole process running smoothly. These are the major ones, so check them out and let us know if you have any questions.


marriage licenses

The Brule River Barn is located in Douglas County, Wisconsin. You can obtain your marriage license through the Douglas County Clerk's office in Superior, WI by making an appointment Monday-Friday from 8am to 4pm. Certificates are $100 and have a 5-day waiting period (not including the day of application). They are good for 30 days after the waiting period is up.

Even if you're a resident of another state, you need to get your license in Wisconsin to make the ceremony valid.



The Brule River Barn is open for weddings and other large events from Memorial Day weekend to the first weekend in October. Outside this time frame, it's too cold to use our unheated Barn and the flowers can't put out their best. Depending on the nature of the event (like senior photo shoots), we may be open to extending those dates.

Your event time will not be reserved until we have your signed contract and non-reundable save-the-date deposit. Reservations are first-come, first-served.



The one additional item that we require that you get for your event is liability insurance. Crazy things happen and we don't want anyone to end up financially responsible for an accident. You might be able to simply add a rider to your existing policy for the event and Brule River Barn, or you could check out more comprehensive coverage from companies like WedSafe or WedSure.



We don't require any specific vendors for any events, because we want your event to be just the way you want it. We just ask that you follow state law and ensure that all food served is prepared in a licensed kitchen, whether it was made by a caterer, grocery store, or your auntie.



There are quite a few laws about how alcohol is served here in Wisconsin that impact events.

At least one person must responsible for ensuring that no one underage is served and no one of age is overserved. If an event has liquor, this person needs to be a licensed bartender in the state of Wisconsin. The bar must be attended and cannot be self-serve. 

No alcohol can be sold at any event, which includes drink tickets or a "suggested donation." We are not licensed in Douglas County or the state of Wisconsin for this, and the penalties for selling alcohol are stiff for not only us, but our clients.



We love to talk over the details of weddings during visits beforehand, but we don't have the staff to provide any sort of day-of coordination for weddings. However, we've seen a lot of weddings and we very strongly encourage that you have one. You don't have to hire someone; it could just be a super-organized friend.  But the last thing you want to do on your big day is answer a hundred little questions about boutonnieres or mixing lemonade.


Smoking & Flames

The fire alarm system in the Barn is extremely sensitive. This is a very good thing in the case of an actual fire, but it means that smoking or open flames (including tea candles) will set it off. If the alarm is set off, the building will be evacuated and the client will pay for the cost of the emergency response. Because of this and in accordance with Wisconsin law, we do not allow smoking or flames of any kind in any building or in the 30 feet around the Barn.

There is a designated smoking area that is covered with chairs.



Well-behaved animals are welcome on a case-by-case basis. We do ask that they remain leashed and not enter the House, Cottage, or Milkhouse. Pets may be subject to additional insurance requirements and/or cleaning fees.



We love our children, but they can be naughty sometimes. Our ponds and other grounds features are especially attractive to children, but can contain hazards. They are also delicate and could cost thousands of dollars to replace. Due to several incidents over the years, children under the age of 16 must have a designated caretaker that is at least 18 years old to ensure no damage to the grounds and preventing safety incidents.



We have more policies, of course, and you can find them listed in the event contract.